Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aalwani

My parents are my dependents but they dont have health insurance

My parents are my dependents, they didn't have health insurance entire 2017, therefore I am not planning to claim them as my dependents on my federal returns to avoid penalty. Can I claim them in my CA returns only

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, no.  The dependents you claim on your California return are usually the same as those you claim on your federal return.

You can claim a California dependent only if you meet both of the following conditions:

1.)  The person is eligible to be your federal dependent. (yes)

2.)  You didn't claim them so they could get a tax break for education expenses on their own federal return. (no) Since you chose not to claim them on your federal return due to lack of health insurance, you don't meet the requirement.  Your choice not to claim them would need to be based on a decision to allow them education credits.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Not claiming a dependent on your federal return for health insurance reasons, does not qualify you to claim that dependent on your CA return.  This exception is for reasons related to education expenses only.  

DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, no.  The dependents you claim on your California return are usually the same as those you claim on your federal return.

You can claim a California dependent only if you meet both of the following conditions:

1.)  The person is eligible to be your federal dependent. (yes)

2.)  You didn't claim them so they could get a tax break for education expenses on their own federal return. (no) Since you chose not to claim them on your federal return due to lack of health insurance, you don't meet the requirement.  Your choice not to claim them would need to be based on a decision to allow them education credits.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies