Solved: My mother lives with me and I pay all her expenses. She doesn't have health insurance and was denied medicaid. Can I claim her as a dependent without penalty?

My mother lives with me and I pay all her expenses. She doesn't have health insurance and was denied medicaid. Can I claim her as a dependent without penalty?

I am not eligible to add her to my insurance through work. Am I responsible for her insurance coverage if I want to claim her as a dependent?

If you claim her as a dependent, you assume responsibility for the ACA penalty fee if she has no health coverage and doesn't qualify for one of the exemptions.  The exemptions are detailed in this reference:  https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/exemptions-from-the-fee/

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**