rmjack3

My mom lived with us for 8 months while doing cancer treatment and she is over 70 can we claim her as a dependent

She did pay rent but did not live where she paid rent, she did pay over 12,000.00 in medical and is not receiving income from a job.
Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

bwa
Alumni
Alumni

She did pay rent but did not live where she paid rent

I'm assuming that means she did not pay rent to you.

To claim someone as a dependent as a qualifying relative they must meet the following criteria:

• they must be a citizen of the US or a resident of the US, Canada or Mexico:
  • you must provide more than 1/2 of the individuals support,
  • they must not earn more than $4,050 in 2016 in gross income subject to tax (social security doesn't count)
  • they are not a qualifying child of another taxpayer, and
  • they must not file a joint return with another
  • If not a close relative or if they are unrelated to you, they must live with you all 12 months of the year.

jerry2000
Alumni

what kind of income does she have?
rmjack3

She just get social security, no stocks no other income or retirement. Just SS
Thanks
bwa
Alumni
Alumni