turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DireWolf

My mom filed and claimed me as a dependent, however I ended up receiving 1099 form for making $2000. What would the fines be if I just let it be until I file next year?

It was a bit ago and I honestly forgot about this income. I don't want her to be affected negatively because of my mistakes, but also don't know if they would bother her if they find out next year. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mom filed and claimed me as a dependent, however I ended up receiving 1099 form for making $2000. What would the fines be if I just let it be until I file next year?

If you make over $400 on a 1099-MISC, you are required to file a return and pay your self-employment tax on that income. The fine is 10% of the tax due, plus interest.  

You have to file a return claiming income for the year in which you earned it - that is, the year shown on the form.  Since this is your earned income, it will not affect your mother at all.  

Remember to mark the box "Someone else can claim me" when going through your TurboTax Personal Information interview.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you make over $400 on a 1099-MISC, you are required to file a return and pay your self-employment tax on that income. The fine is 10% of the tax due, plus interest.  

You have to file a return claiming income for the year in which you earned it - that is, the year shown on the form.  Since this is your earned income, it will not affect your mother at all.  

Remember to mark the box "Someone else can claim me" when going through your TurboTax Personal Information interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies