• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vincemanzo
Returning Member

My legal first name is only one letter long, and I'm unable to file because Turbo Tax thinks this is an error and asks me to go back to the My Info section.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

My legal first name is only one letter long, and I'm unable to file because Turbo Tax thinks this is an error and asks me to go back to the My Info section.

Try using your your initial and middle name.  Hopefully this will get you through the questions.  Please do not use a period as this will cause a rejection.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

fanfare
Level 15

The suggestion, a good one, was to enter the initial and name together

as in 

First: "R Buckminster"

Last: "Fuller".

If you don't have a given name of more than one character, you'll have to file on paper via US MAIL.

What this has to do with your signature, I don't know.

4 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Try using your your initial and middle name.  Hopefully this will get you through the questions.  Please do not use a period as this will cause a rejection.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

vincemanzo
Returning Member

Is it really a good idea to sign my tax documents using something other than my actual name?

fanfare
Level 15

The suggestion, a good one, was to enter the initial and name together

as in 

First: "R Buckminster"

Last: "Fuller".

If you don't have a given name of more than one character, you'll have to file on paper via US MAIL.

What this has to do with your signature, I don't know.

vincemanzo
Returning Member

Okay great--that is a good suggestion; thanks. I didn't realize that, when merged in the document, my name appeared as it is legally. Many thanks.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings