Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

twins3811

My kids were with me half the year i have became homeless sent them to texas where they spent weekends at nanas and weekdays with dad and his girlfriend dad owes child support and will not file but hi

Girlfriend is trying to claim although they were not there the entire year can she claim them
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

My kids were with me half the year i have became homeless sent them to texas where they spent weekends at nanas and weekdays with dad and his girlfriend dad owes child support and will not file but hi

Usually, children need to have lived with you more than half a year and met the other requirements to be your qualifying child  to be able to claim them.

Who can claim a child depends on who is the custodial parent. The person where the child spend most of the nights is the custodial parent for tax purposes.The IRS will go so far as to require counting the nights spend in each household, if exactly equal and more than 183 days the custodial parent is the parent with the highest Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), if less than 183 days then neither parent has custody and the child cannot be claimed by either parent.

If you had the right to claim your children because they met all the requirements to be your qualifying child but someone else claimed them, then you will have to file a paper return to claim the children. Be prepared to show proof to the IRS that you had the right to claim them. 

Please see How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Usually, children need to have lived with you more than half a year and met the other requirements to be your qualifying child  to be able to claim them.

Who can claim a child depends on who is the custodial parent. The person where the child spend most of the nights is the custodial parent for tax purposes.The IRS will go so far as to require counting the nights spend in each household, if exactly equal and more than 183 days the custodial parent is the parent with the highest Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), if less than 183 days then neither parent has custody and the child cannot be claimed by either parent.

If you had the right to claim your children because they met all the requirements to be your qualifying child but someone else claimed them, then you will have to file a paper return to claim the children. Be prepared to show proof to the IRS that you had the right to claim them. 

Please see How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies