pruittmarcuse95

My husband worked in Michigan for only 6-8 weeks do we need to file taxes with that state as well or not??? [removed attached PII]

With the way that I have filed the taxes as of right now we are getting back in our state that we live in 653 and where my husband worked in Michigan for 6-8 weeks we are having to pay them 453 and I am not sure if this is correct?? Should I even be filing in the state of Michigan at all or not?? He stayed in a hotel and wasn't a legal resident of the state or anything like that it was just due to not having work in North Carolina and they had to travel out of state to find work within the company.

IreneS

Yes.  According to the instructions for the MI-1040, as a nonresident, you must pay Michigan income tax on: "Salary, wages, and other employee compensation for work performed in Michigan, unless you live in a state covered by a reciprocal agreement.”  [MI does not have a reciprocal agreement with NC.]

It is best to prepare you MI nonresident return first so that the taxes calculated will flow properly to your NC returns.  On your NC return, you can claim a credit for taxes paid to another state.

IreneS