jessseib1

My husband was a student/dependent as of our marriage date August 6, 2016. How can I file him as so?

SeanE1

The IRS goes by your status as of December 31 of the tax year.  So if you are married as of Dec 31, 2016, you are viewed as being married for the entire year.  As a married couple, you have two options for filing: married filing jointly, (MFJ) or married filing separately, (MFS). Most of the time it is beneficial for a married couple to use MFJ because of the lower tax rates and enhanced deductions and credits.  This is the category I would suggest for you and your husband.

SeanE1