myst1ctac0s

My husband receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI). We only recently married in late 2016. This is our first time ever filing jointly. How will his SSI affect us filing our taxes & what do we need to do?

DianeW

If you have only supplemental security Income (SSI) then none of it is taxed, does not get entered in the tax return and will have no effect.

• Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a United States government program that provides stipends to low-income people who are either aged 65 or older, blind, or disabled. Although administered by the Social Security Administration, SSI is funded from the U.S. Treasury general funds, not the Social Security trust fund.

If you actually have social security benefits and you received a Form SSA-1099, then these benefits are included in the tax return entry and may or may not be taxable.  For married filing jointly the threshold is $32,000 which means if the taxable income including only half of the social security benefits are over this amount some of the benefits will be taxable.

If you did not receive this form this is nothing to report.

If you did receive the SSA-1099 follow the steps here to enter the information in your joint return.

You can go directly to the area to review your entry by following these steps.

1. Sign into your account and select your current return.

2. Select  My Account on the top right and then select Tools

3. Select Topic Search (see attached image)

4. Search for ssa1099 and select Go (use the correct column - see image attached)

5. Follow the interview to enter or review your entry for these benefits.

gervillahall1st

How did that work out?
DianeW

gervillahall1st

Hi, I'm in the same situation. Now. My wife on SSI and I work. How did that affect you? Any problem? File jointly?