My husband only received SSA disability in 2018 and it would be taxed if we file joint. How would itemized deductions work if we filed separately?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My husband only received SSA disability in 2018 and it would be taxed if we file joint. How would itemized deductions work if we filed separately?

3 Replies
Level 15

You both would have to itemize if filing separately.  His Social Security benefits become up to 85% taxable if you file separately.
Level 15

It would be taxed more if you file separately.
Level 15

You should be filing as Married Filing Jointly since in most cases you receive the greatest tax benefit.  Even with the SS benefits reported on the joint tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing jointly versus separately - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings