My husband only received SSA disability in 2018 and it would be taxed if we file joint. How would itemized deductions work if we filed separately?

You both would have to itemize if filing separately.  His Social Security benefits become up to 85% taxable if you file separately.

It would be taxed more if you file separately.

You should be filing as Married Filing Jointly since in most cases you receive the greatest tax benefit.  Even with the SS benefits reported on the joint tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing jointly versus separately - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...