Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband moved out the last 6 months of the year and has since moved back in January 2017. Can he useour address and can I still file head of household andfiling jointl

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My husband moved out the last 6 months of the year and has since moved back in January 2017. Can he useour address and can I still file head of household andfiling jointl

You can't file as head of household and as married filing jointly. They are two different filing statuses. It's one or the other. If you file as head of household your husband would have to file as married filing separately. You would probably save money if the two of you file together as married filing jointly.

What happens in 2017 does not affect your 2016 tax return. If you lived apart for the last 6 months of 2016, you might meet the requirements to be "considered unmarried" for the purpose of filing as head of household.

If you file as head of household and your husband files as married filing separately, you can both use the same address. The address on the tax return is your current address, which might be different from your address in 2016. However, you might get a letter from the IRS questioning your eligibility for head of household filing status.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can't file as head of household and as married filing jointly. They are two different filing statuses. It's one or the other. If you file as head of household your husband would have to file as married filing separately. You would probably save money if the two of you file together as married filing jointly.

What happens in 2017 does not affect your 2016 tax return. If you lived apart for the last 6 months of 2016, you might meet the requirements to be "considered unmarried" for the purpose of filing as head of household.

If you file as head of household and your husband files as married filing separately, you can both use the same address. The address on the tax return is your current address, which might be different from your address in 2016. However, you might get a letter from the IRS questioning your eligibility for head of household filing status.

Ok if the IRS does question it... we have a lease that states he did move. Is that all the information they would need?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No one can say for sure what evidence the IRS will accept, but it would certainly help your case.

But you only have to worry about this if you file as head of household. The two of you should probably be filing jointly.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies