Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband left us over 6 months ago -- I have very low income, and he's been giving us money but not legally child support. should i file jointly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

My husband left us over 6 months ago -- I have very low income, and he's been giving us money but not legally child support. should i file jointly?

If you are not yet divorced, here are your filing options:

Your primary options are Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) and Married Filing Separately (MFS). Your husband will need to agree to MFJ, though. 

A possible option is Head of Household (HOH). Married individuals can be considered unmarried for HOH if all of the following apply:

• The taxpayer lived separate from his/her spouse for the last six months of the year (If you just got married in July, it's unlikely this is the case).Temporary absences are considered as time lived in the home.
  • The taxpayer does not file MFJ
  • The taxpayer paid over 1/2 of the cost of keeping up a home
  • The taxpayer's home was the main home of the taxpayer's child, stepchild, or foster child for over 1/2 the tax year
    • The taxpayer claims this child as a dependent, or the child's other parent claims the child as a dependent under the rules for children of divorced or separated parents.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you are not yet divorced, here are your filing options:

Your primary options are Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) and Married Filing Separately (MFS). Your husband will need to agree to MFJ, though. 

A possible option is Head of Household (HOH). Married individuals can be considered unmarried for HOH if all of the following apply:

• The taxpayer lived separate from his/her spouse for the last six months of the year (If you just got married in July, it's unlikely this is the case).Temporary absences are considered as time lived in the home.
  • The taxpayer does not file MFJ
  • The taxpayer paid over 1/2 of the cost of keeping up a home
  • The taxpayer's home was the main home of the taxpayer's child, stepchild, or foster child for over 1/2 the tax year
    • The taxpayer claims this child as a dependent, or the child's other parent claims the child as a dependent under the rules for children of divorced or separated parents.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you have a child living with you answer the questions in the personal information section to see if you can file as head of household which is likely if your spouse did not live with you any of the last 6 months of 2019.  That might be a good choice.  If he is giving you money then that is a gift so you don’t have to report it as income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies