turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is not the father of my 3 year old. So I was told I had to file separately to claim him. Is this true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband is not the father of my 3 year old. So I was told I had to file separately to claim him. Is this true?

No, that is not true. When you file jointly, you can claim any children that either of you have.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No, that is not true. When you file jointly, you can claim any children that either of you have.

Even on years that his father can claim "half of him"?

There is no such thing as claiming "half of him" what exactly do you think that is?

Every odd year he gets to claim the 3 year old on his taxes but since i am primary guardian and have him more than 6 months out of the year, I get the child tax income credit or whatever it's called and he just gets to claim his as a dependent. It was part of the parenting plan apparently. 😕
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies