Solved: My husband is not the father of my 3 year old. So I was told I had to file separately to claim him. Is this true?

ashlee_belden92

My husband is not the father of my 3 year old. So I was told I had to file separately to claim him. Is this true?

jerry2000
Alumni

No, that is not true. When you file jointly, you can claim any children that either of you have.

jerry2000
Alumni

ashlee_belden92

Even on years that his father can claim "half of him"?
jerry2000
Alumni

There is no such thing as claiming "half of him" what exactly do you think that is?
ashlee_belden92

Every odd year he gets to claim the 3 year old on his taxes but since i am primary guardian and have him more than 6 months out of the year, I get the child tax income credit or whatever it's called and he just gets to claim his as a dependent. It was part of the parenting plan apparently. 😕