Solved: My husband is not the father of my 3 year old. So I was told I had to file separately to claim him. Is this true?

My husband is not the father of my 3 year old. So I was told I had to file separately to claim him. Is this true?

Alumni

No, that is not true. When you file jointly, you can claim any children that either of you have.

Alumni

Even on years that his father can claim "half of him"?
Alumni

There is no such thing as claiming "half of him" what exactly do you think that is?

Every odd year he gets to claim the 3 year old on his taxes but since i am primary guardian and have him more than 6 months out of the year, I get the child tax income credit or whatever it's called and he just gets to claim his as a dependent. It was part of the parenting plan apparently. 😕