senseny

My husband died 2/10/17. when I am doing my PA return, it says I have to do married file separetely . You ask questions about me. How do I fill in info about him?

Karen1209

According to the PA Department of Revenue, you can file jointly:

(D) Deceased Use this status if the taxpayer, spouse or both died in 2017. Enter the date(s) of death. For tax years beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2013, a joint return can be filed by the surviving spouse and decedent when a spouse or taxpayer dies during the tax year if: 1. The decedent did not previously file a return for the tax year; and 2. The personal representative, executor or administrator has not been appointed by the time the return is made, signed and filed; or 3. The fiduciary of the decedent consents to the filing of and signs the joint return. Also for tax years beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2013, the executor(s) of the estate(s) of the taxpayer and spouse (if both die during the same tax year) may elect to file a joint return on behalf of the taxpayer and spouse if: 1. The personal representatives, executors or administrators consent to filing a joint return; and 2. The joint return is signed by both fiduciaries.

To do this, please follow these steps:

• Click the Personal Info section and put your information in first.
  • Indicate that your marital status is Married and you want to file jointly.
  • Indicate that he is deceased (see screenshot for example).

Karen1209

To do this, please follow these steps: