lorigoodbody

My husband and I live together in MD. We want to file joint taxes. He commutes to work in VA. How do I file our taxes together with him working in another state?

Rachel_W

Because Maryland and Virginia have a  reciprocity agreement , you pay income tax only to the State you *live* in, which in your case is Maryland.

You should file a Joint Federal and Maryland Tax Return.

You will only need to file a Virginia Tax Return if your Husband's Virginia Employer withheld VA Income Taxes from his paycheck.  If this is the case you will need to file a Form 763-S Virginia Special Nonresident Claim For Individual Income Tax Withheld in order to receive that withholding back as a refund.  TurboTax will walk you through this process.

Rachel_W