Solved: My husband and I live together in MD. We want to file joint taxes. He commutes to work in VA. How do I file our taxes together with him working in another state?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My husband and I live together in MD. We want to file joint taxes. He commutes to work in VA. How do I file our taxes together with him working in another state?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 4

My husband and I live together in MD. We want to file joint taxes. He commutes to work in VA. How do I file our taxes together with him working in another state?

Because Maryland and Virginia have a  reciprocity agreement , you pay income tax only to the State you *live* in, which in your case is Maryland.

You should file a Joint Federal and Maryland Tax Return.

You will only need to file a Virginia Tax Return if your Husband's Virginia Employer withheld VA Income Taxes from his paycheck.  If this is the case you will need to file a Form 763-S Virginia Special Nonresident Claim For Individual Income Tax Withheld in order to receive that withholding back as a refund.  TurboTax will walk you through this process.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 4

Because Maryland and Virginia have a  reciprocity agreement , you pay income tax only to the State you *live* in, which in your case is Maryland.

You should file a Joint Federal and Maryland Tax Return.

You will only need to file a Virginia Tax Return if your Husband's Virginia Employer withheld VA Income Taxes from his paycheck.  If this is the case you will need to file a Form 763-S Virginia Special Nonresident Claim For Individual Income Tax Withheld in order to receive that withholding back as a refund.  TurboTax will walk you through this process.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings