ambernl2

My husband and I got married in late 2017. He is a dependent on his parents. I tried to add my student loan interest to our joint tax return and it wouldn't accept. Why?

Sounds like you have some confusion.  If your spouse is being claimed as a dependent, then he cannot file a joint return.  His parents cannot claim him if he files a joint return with you.  If the two of you file separate returns, his parents can claim him.  However, if you file separate returns, YOU cannot get any education credits, so you forfeit the student loan interest.

Hal_Al