• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lindberg1683

My girlfriend, my daughters mother stayed home with our daughter but she didn't financially support her. Would I select, yes a relative of Lexies lived and supported her?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Texas Roger
Level 15

My girlfriend, my daughters mother stayed home with our daughter but she didn't financially support her. Would I select, yes a relative of Lexies lived and supported her?

You would answer no because she didn't support her.  Do you, your girl friend and you daughter all live together in the same home? If so, the best filing situation for the 3 of you would be for you to claim your daughter as a qualifying child dependent assuming she lived with you more than half the year. If your girl friend lived with you the entire year and made less than $4050, you could claim her as a qualifying relative dependent.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
lindberg1683

We all lived together all year. My girlfriend is a stay at home mom. So she didn't have an income this year but the way it's worded was weird. I checked no. I just wanted to make sure I clicked the correct box. Thank you
Texas Roger
Level 15

There are so many variations of living situations that some of the interview questions don't make sense in all situations.
Texas Roger
Level 15

You would answer no because she didn't support her.  Do you, your girl friend and you daughter all live together in the same home? If so, the best filing situation for the 3 of you would be for you to claim your daughter as a qualifying child dependent assuming she lived with you more than half the year. If your girl friend lived with you the entire year and made less than $4050, you could claim her as a qualifying relative dependent.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v