Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j-red10

My girlfriend is 18, she lived with her parents for over half the year but worked for 3/4ths of the year. is the "provided more than half support" the best loophole?

her parents didn't support her with anything, she's lived with me since september, pays rent, utilities here, car, insurance, food clothing etc. now i get that for the time she lived with her parents it'd be the rental value of the home + utilities divided by number of people living there and any groceries used during that time. 4 people lived in that house. there's only 2 people in our apartment so assuming the utilities are the same then i think mathematically they wouldn't qualify for half the support. she moved out of her parents in the summer and lived with her grandmother for a time before she moved in with me, and since dividing the rent/utilities by 4 people at her parents house is going to make the number 2x as small as it is for our apartment, there's a chance it could balance out. we need the tax return cause she got sick and has medical bills, she couldn't get insurance because her parents dropped her off the policy and new york state of health wasn't any help in her getting her own insurance. her parents are bad people so don't feel bad for them but is there any hope of her getting her tax return or at the very least making sure her parents cant get it (just to spite them) i know that she checks the box for most of the qualifying dependent criteria but i'm hoping that not qualifying for the support part will be enough to ensure they cant claim her.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My girlfriend is 18, she lived with her parents for over half the year but worked for 3/4ths of the year. is the "provided more than half support" the best loophole?

You are mixing up the rules.

Due to her age, there is no requirement that her parents provide more than 50% of her support, only that she did not provide more than 50% of her own support. She did live with them more than the half the year, so they likely can still claim her. See this:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

In any case, you cannot claim her since she (who is unrelated to you) didn't live with you all year.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

How old was she on 12/31/2018?
If she lived with her parents until September, they DID support her.

You are mixing up the rules.

Due to her age, there is no requirement that her parents provide more than 50% of her support, only that she did not provide more than 50% of her own support. She did live with them more than the half the year, so they likely can still claim her. See this:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

In any case, you cannot claim her since she (who is unrelated to you) didn't live with you all year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies