Solved: My girlfriend claimed our son on her tax return and received the dependent exemption and EIC. TurboTax is also giving me EIC for him even though I am not claiming him as my dependent

pbush0925

My girlfriend claimed our son on her tax return and received the dependent exemption and EIC. TurboTax is also giving me EIC for him even though I am not claiming him as my dependent

Texas Roger

Your son should not even be listed on your tax return if your girlfriend has claimed him on her tax return. Two parents living together cannot split the tax benefits for their child. One parent must claim all the benefits and the other parent must not even list the child on their tax return.

Texas Roger

pbush0925

Perfect.  I'll remove him from mine.  Thank you.