ericmfsilva

My girlfriend and I live together, are not married, and she has two sons. We both work and support them. I claimed the boys as dependents on my tax return. Is this okay?

Vanessa

Depends.  Did they live with you for the ENTIRE year and did you provide MORE than half of their support?  If not, then no you cannot claim them as your dependent since they are not related to you.  If you already filed and are not eligible to claim them, then you would need to Amend Your Return to take them off of it.

If they did live with you the ENTIRE year and you provided MORE than half of their support, then you can claim them.

Please note:  If the Mother is working, then she would need to be the one that claims her children.  If the children can be her qualifying children, then they cannot be a qualifying relative for anyone else. 

(Edited 3/21/19 @ 3:15PM EST)

Also note that you cannot use them to qualify you for Head of Household. You must file as Single.