Solved: My form 1099-DIV shows Box 1a as $2331. But it has...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t-rosenthal
Level 1

My form 1099-DIV shows Box 1a as $2331. But it has a note that says “includes amount shown in Box 1b”. Box 1b shows $2331. Do I enter 2331 on both TurboTax lines?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
macuser_22
Level 15

My form 1099-DIV shows Box 1a as $2331. But it has a note that says “includes amount shown in Box 1b”. Box 1b shows $2331. Do I enter 2331 on both TurboTax lines?

Box 1b shows what *part* of 1a are qualified dividends.  Depending on other income qualified dividends are usually taxed at a lower rate than dividends that are not qualified.   They actually will lower the tax, not increase.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

Yes.  Just like it is on the form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
t-rosenthal
Level 1

Ok thanks.  I wanted to make sure I wasn’t paying tax on two entries.

macuser_22
Level 15

Box 1b shows what *part* of 1a are qualified dividends.  Depending on other income qualified dividends are usually taxed at a lower rate than dividends that are not qualified.   They actually will lower the tax, not increase.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings