Solved: My fiance is incarcerated in NY, am i able to claim him on my taxes? he has been in prison for few years so he hasn't been living with me.

kayk2284

My fiance is incarcerated in NY, am i able to claim him on my taxes? he has been in prison for few years so he hasn't been living with me.

what documents are necessary?

No you cannot claim him as a dependent since he has not lived with you for the entire year.  To claim someone as a dependent who is not related to you they must live in your home for the entire year under the Qualifying Relative rules.

"he has been in prison for few years" If you did claim him any of those years, you must amend to "unclaim" him.

@kayk2284 If you have been giving/sending him money, that is a gift to an individual, and is not deductible on your tax return, either.