Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rebeldog2

My fed tax due was > 20k. I filed an extension and paid 20k. I went back to finish my return it says I only owe $200. Why does turbo deduct the $ i paid for the extension

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JuttaS
Employee Writer

My fed tax due was > 20k. I filed an extension and paid 20k. I went back to finish my return it says I only owe $200. Why does turbo deduct the $ i paid for the extension

When you pay with your extension, you are paying off part of your taxes. Not just promising to pay, but paying.

So if your taxes owed for 2018 is $20,200 and you paid $20,000 with your extension, TurboTax "remembers" that and deducts the $20K from the total owed amount, thus you now only owe the remaining $200 when you file your taxes.

If it didn't account for the $20K payment and you forgot that you already paid, you'd be in danger of paying another $20K when you file your actual return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JuttaS
Employee Writer

When you pay with your extension, you are paying off part of your taxes. Not just promising to pay, but paying.

So if your taxes owed for 2018 is $20,200 and you paid $20,000 with your extension, TurboTax "remembers" that and deducts the $20K from the total owed amount, thus you now only owe the remaining $200 when you file your taxes.

If it didn't account for the $20K payment and you forgot that you already paid, you'd be in danger of paying another $20K when you file your actual return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies