My fed return has been rejected. It states my dependent has already been claimed but I checked with his mother and she only claimed our youngest son. How do I go about having this corrected

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JulieS

The first thing you should do is check the dependent information carefully. Check that the last name, social security number and date of birth are all correct and that they match the information that the Social Security Administration (SSA) has on file. 

If you are not certain what the SSA has on file, you can call and verify it. Their phone number is 1-800-772-1213.

Next take a another look at your rejection code. 

R0000-507-01 means the first dependent listed on your return was claimed as a dependent on another return. The last two digits refer to the line where the dependent is listed. If it were R0000-507-02, that would mean the second dependent was claimed on another return.

Another common issue is Earned Income Credit (EIC) rejects. If your reject code is SEIC-F1040-506-01, that means the first dependent was claimed for EIC on another return. Under current rules, you can claim EIC for a child that lives with you, even if that child is not your dependent. 

If all of your entries are correct and you are dealing the right dependent/ rejection code, the only options for you are to remove the dependent and/ or EIC and e-file; or to print and mail your return. There isn't any way to force that IRS to accept the return even if the rejection is not your fault.

If you want remove a dependent, you can do so through the My Info section. If you want to remove the EIC for a dependent, revisit the EIC section.

If you want to print and mail your tax return, this option comes up in the second step of the File section. Choose Print and Mail my return and follow the instructions to do that. 

[Edited 01/28/20 | 10:18am PST]

CmWood68

I have the same. my sons fed return rejected for 507-01 , someone else claimed my dependent. According to his divorce papers he has the right to claim his daughter this year 2022. Without asking first I just deleted the dependent from the form. I need to fix this for him. I do have a copy of the dependent information that was approved by the court .

I being [PII Removed], his mother

@CmWood68 

Someone else claimed my dependent and my return was rejected

If someone else claimed your dependent already, then your e-filed return will be rejected.  Print, sign and mail your own return which claims your dependent.  Mailed returns are processed differently by the IRS.  It will take some time (maybe even up to a year) but eventually the IRS will contact both parties and sort out who could rightfully claim the dependent.  The person who wrongfully claimed the dependent will face repayment of refund $, plus penalties.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.