My ex claimed my daughter but did not see her or provide financially for the whole year how can I claim my daughter ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

File your tax return claiming your child by mail.   Since the other parent already used the child's SSN on a tax return, you are blocked from e-filing with her SSN on your own return, but the IRS will process a mailed return differently.  Print, sign and date your return in ink and mail it.  The IRS will sort out who could claim the child. Your ex may face repayment of any child-related credits he received, plus penalties.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

If they e-filed their tax return and it was accepted by the IRS you will not be able to e-file your tax return.  You can only print and mail the return.  On your tax return you enter your child as your dependent.  The IRS will process your tax return and issue you a refund, if any, without regard to the other tax return that was filed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

Within a year the IRS will be sending you and the other party letters to determine who was eligible to claim the child as a dependent.

The loser of the investigation has to pay back any tax refund based on the dependent plus penalties and interest.