ibsalazar

My employer never sent me my W2, went under, and I can't reach them, but TurboTax says there's a W2 on file and won't let me file a substitute. How do I get around this?

To clarify, the company is now out of business and everyone I was in contact with has informed me they do not have anything to do with payroll and do not have the contact information for anyone who handled payroll, so there is no chance of getting it from the company. I have tried going to the IRS, but have not been successful in retrieving the W2 submitted to them by my company, and although TurboTax states they found a record of a W2, I cannot find anywhere in TurboTax where I can actually see that record so I can file my taxes with it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Did you report the missing form yet ?   https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-can-help-taxpayers-get-form-w-2

Did you ask for an income transcript from the IRS ?  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-return-transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them

If there is a W2 on file that the TT program can access then it should be populated automatically  but if it cannot then backup and choose to use the substitute W-2 path instead so you can use the info from the last pay stub. 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for importing a 2018 W-2 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-or-enter-my-w-2/01/26253

If you can't get your W-2 from your employer, you can still file using Form 4852 (also known as a substitute W-2).

Note: If you use a substitute W-2, be sure to keep a copy for your records, just like you would a W-2.

Here's how to fill out Form 4852:

1. Visit the W-2 area of TurboTax and choose "Work on my W-2 now."
2. Enter the employer ID Number (EIN) if you know it. Leave it blank if you don't.
3. When we ask for your W-2 info, enter all the info that should be on your W-2 if you had actually received it. You can use your pay stubs to estimate your earnings and total taxes paid (federal, state and local). Because you don't have your actual W-2, you just need to use the best information you have available (pay stubs, bank statements, etc.) to fill out as much of the Form as possible.
4. After you're done filling out your W-2 info, you will get to "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?" Select the checkbox "Substitute form -- I didn't receive a W-2 from my employer and need to complete a substitute form."
5. Then we will ask you to confirm you want to complete form 4852. Select Yes if you are ready.
6. Next write out an explanation of how you figured out your wages and taxes paid (i.e. I used my last pay stub or my most recent bank statement).
7. Then describe the steps you took when you tried to get your W-2 from your employer, like I called my employer on (insert date).