• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eddietorres72

My efile was rejected because a deponents SSN was already claimed. How do I find out which SSN they are referring to? Thank You!

4 Replies
Opus 17
Level 15

My efile was rejected because a deponents SSN was already claimed. How do I find out which SSN they are referring to? Thank You!

You can’t.  Taxpayer privacy laws prevent the IRS from telling you about someone else’s tax return.  If your return is correct, print it out, sign it, and mail it in.  The IRS will investigate the duplicate dependent claim.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
eddietorres72

Thank you!
macuser_22
Level 15

Yes, you cannot find out *who* claimed your dependent, but they can tell you which dependent was claimed.

In many cases the reject code will tell you.   If the code ends in a -01, it is usually the first dependent listed, a -02 would be the 2nd dependent and so on.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
SweetieJean
Level 15

Any of your dependents file their own tax return ?
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v