eddietorres72

My efile was rejected because a deponents SSN was already claimed. How do I find out which SSN they are referring to? Thank You!

You can’t.  Taxpayer privacy laws prevent the IRS from telling you about someone else’s tax return.  If your return is correct, print it out, sign it, and mail it in.  The IRS will investigate the duplicate dependent claim.  

eddietorres72

Thank you!
macuser_22

Yes, you cannot find out *who* claimed your dependent, but they can tell you which dependent was claimed.

In many cases the reject code will tell you.   If the code ends in a -01, it is usually the first dependent listed, a -02 would be the 2nd dependent and so on.

Any of your dependents file their own tax return ?