turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kbannow

My E-File is being rejected on turbo tax, I get a message saying a return with my social has already been filed. But I have not filed anything yet. What can I do?

I am just trying to submit my return via Efile on turbo tax but am getting an error that a return with my social security number has already been filed but it has not.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My E-File is being rejected on turbo tax, I get a message saying a return with my social has already been filed. But I have not filed anything yet. What can I do?

1)   If you are someone's dependent (like a college student), make sure you indicate that in the personal Info section, and that you did not supply more than half of your own support...then try again.

2) IF you are not someone's dependent, then you, or someone else has already filed a tax return with you and your SSN on it.    Parent?  ex?   someone else's mistake?   In this situation, you can only file on paper by mail and let the IRS sort it out.   Change your filing method to file by mail.  Print out your tax forms, sign, date, and mail them in......use a tracking method at the PO service counter so you get proof of delivery.   If your state has an income tax, make sure you mail those in separately to the state's dept of taxation address.   Yes....paper-mailed tax returns may take many months to get processed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies