turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dependents each earned under $6,000 but had federal, socsec and medicare tax withheld. How do I obtain a refund? Can I use the same TurboTax Premier to file for them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

My dependents each earned under $6,000 but had federal, socsec and medicare tax withheld. How do I obtain a refund? Can I use the same TurboTax Premier to file for them?

Yes, you can create separate tax returns for each of your dependents which will determine if they are due a tax refund.  You may have limits on how many returns can be e-filed, but you can use the same software to create each tax return (they can be mailed if they cannot be e-filed).  You should not include the income of your dependents on your tax return.

Note:  if you are claiming them as dependents on YOUR tax return, be sure to mark on their returns that they are being claimed on someone else's return.  Otherwise, errors will occur.  This is done in the Personal Info section of TurboTax.  See sample screenshot attached.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieCo

Yes, you can create separate tax returns for each of your dependents which will determine if they are due a tax refund.  You may have limits on how many returns can be e-filed, but you can use the same software to create each tax return (they can be mailed if they cannot be e-filed).  You should not include the income of your dependents on your tax return.

Note:  if you are claiming them as dependents on YOUR tax return, be sure to mark on their returns that they are being claimed on someone else's return.  Otherwise, errors will occur.  This is done in the Personal Info section of TurboTax.  See sample screenshot attached.

Are you using the Desktop program?  You can do unlimited returns and efile 5.  Be sure to save each return with a new unique name to tell them apart.  Save frequently.  First save your return, go to FILE-Save or Save As.   

Start a new return, goto File - New Tax Return.  If one of them has the same first name as you or your spouse then be careful when you save their return and use a different name (do File-Save As).  Or it might save over your return.

They should be able to get back the Federal withholding in box 2 but not the other things.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies