turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bhikes

My daughters boyfriend has lived with us for the entire 2016 yr I have supported him. He is a 20yr old college student and his fasfa was done by his mom. Can I claim him?

Can I claim him even if his mom used her income for the fasfa? If so would it affect his upcoming fasfa
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

My daughters boyfriend has lived with us for the entire 2016 yr I have supported him. He is a 20yr old college student and his fasfa was done by his mom. Can I claim him?

Claiming a dependent is not related to FAFSA.  To claim a someone as a dependent as a qualifying relative they must meet the following criteria: they must be a citizen of the US or a resident of the US, Canada or Mexico:

·         you must provide more than 1/2 of the individuals support,

·         they must not earn more than $4,050 in 2016 in gross income (social security doesn't count)

·         they are not a qualifying child of another taxpayer, and

·         they must not file a joint return with another

·         If not a close relative or if they are unrelated to you, they must live with you all 12 months of the year.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Claiming a dependent is not related to FAFSA.  To claim a someone as a dependent as a qualifying relative they must meet the following criteria: they must be a citizen of the US or a resident of the US, Canada or Mexico:

·         you must provide more than 1/2 of the individuals support,

·         they must not earn more than $4,050 in 2016 in gross income (social security doesn't count)

·         they are not a qualifying child of another taxpayer, and

·         they must not file a joint return with another

·         If not a close relative or if they are unrelated to you, they must live with you all 12 months of the year.

Conversely, his FASFA could be affected, so alert his mother.
DId he have any scholarships or grants in 2016?.
bhikes

No scholarships or grants. He did make about 1600.00 on a 1099. Through out the year, to help out with his gas to school and back, would he be able to file that himself even if his Mom did his fasfa and decided to claim him as a dependent.

He'll have to claim that $1,600 on his own return, and indicate on it that someone else is claiming him.
But if both you AND Mom claimed him as a tax dependent, expect to hear from the IRS (and maybe FASFA).
bhikes

His Mom said I could claim him as long as it didn't affect his fasfa or it causes problems with her taxes.I have supported him and provided for him since he's not able to live at her house, I didn't want him to be homeless because he is trying to get his education and make something of himself. She is in agreement that I should claim him if the IRS and fasfa doesn't have a problem with it

Mom doesn't get to decide.  The IRS rules must be followed, and he is your tax dependent under the IRS rules.

Only fasfa can answer if you claiming would affect it. Ask them. We can only help with tax issues and the IRS does not get involved with fasfa.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies