turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter who lives with my wife and I turned 18 Dec. 28 of 2016. Can we claim her as a dependent.

We file married jointly.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

My daughter who lives with my wife and I turned 18 Dec. 28 of 2016. Can we claim her as a dependent.

Yes. You are able to claim your 18 year old daughter this year and for future years if the following applies: 

See this explanation from IRS Publication 501:

• She under the age of 19, or she is between the ages of 19 and 24 and a full time student for 2016

• To be a student, they must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year:

• A full-time student at a school that has a regular teaching staff, course of study, and a regularly enrolled student body at the school, or

• A student taking a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school described in (1), or by a state, county, or local government agency.

• The 5 calendar months don't have to be consecutive.

• She did not provide more than half of her own support.

• This test is different from the support test to be a qualifying relative, which is described later. However, to see what is or isn't support, see Support Test (To Be a Qualifying Relative) , later. If you aren't sure whether a child provided more than half of his or her own support, you may find Worksheet 2 helpful.

• She did not file a joint tax return.

• An exception to the joint return test applies if your child and his or her spouse file a joint return only to claim a refund of income tax withheld or estimated tax paid.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

Yes. You are able to claim your 18 year old daughter this year and for future years if the following applies: 

See this explanation from IRS Publication 501:

• She under the age of 19, or she is between the ages of 19 and 24 and a full time student for 2016

• To be a student, they must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year:

• A full-time student at a school that has a regular teaching staff, course of study, and a regularly enrolled student body at the school, or

• A student taking a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school described in (1), or by a state, county, or local government agency.

• The 5 calendar months don't have to be consecutive.

• She did not provide more than half of her own support.

• This test is different from the support test to be a qualifying relative, which is described later. However, to see what is or isn't support, see Support Test (To Be a Qualifying Relative) , later. If you aren't sure whether a child provided more than half of his or her own support, you may find Worksheet 2 helpful.

• She did not file a joint tax return.

• An exception to the joint return test applies if your child and his or her spouse file a joint return only to claim a refund of income tax withheld or estimated tax paid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies