turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fp5044263

My Daughter was my Full time/At least half time College Student Living at Home for 7 months but she also worked how do we file both of our taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

My Daughter was my Full time/At least half time College Student Living at Home for 7 months but she also worked how do we file both of our taxes

If your daughter is under age 24, you can continue to claim her as a dependent as long as she is a full time student. You will also want to include her education information on your tax return. As a student, her school address is temporary and she is considered to have lived with you for the full year.

Your daughter will need to file a tax return  if she was self-employed and made over $400 from self-employment.

If your daughter worked for someone else, and you claim her as a dependent, she would not have to file a tax return unless she earned more than $6,300.  However, if federal income taxes were withheld from her pay, she would want to file a return to have those taxes refunded to her. She may also have to file a state tax return depending on the state you live in.  Check your state's Department of Revenue website.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

If your daughter is under age 24, you can continue to claim her as a dependent as long as she is a full time student. You will also want to include her education information on your tax return. As a student, her school address is temporary and she is considered to have lived with you for the full year.

Your daughter will need to file a tax return  if she was self-employed and made over $400 from self-employment.

If your daughter worked for someone else, and you claim her as a dependent, she would not have to file a tax return unless she earned more than $6,300.  However, if federal income taxes were withheld from her pay, she would want to file a return to have those taxes refunded to her. She may also have to file a state tax return depending on the state you live in.  Check your state's Department of Revenue website.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies