turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter still lives at home, but i can't claim her... do i put her on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My daughter still lives at home, but i can't claim her... do i put her on my taxes?

It depends on why you can't claim her.

But, generally, no, you do not enter someone you can't claim. The dependent interview is complicated and can lead to mistakes.

That said, there are a couple of exceptions.

1.  There is a special rule in the case of divorced & separated (including never married) parents. When the non-custodial parent is claiming the child as a dependent/exemption/child tax credit; the custodial parent is still allowed to claim the same child for Earned Income Credit, Head of Household filing status, and day care credit. This "splitting of the child" is not available to parents who lived together at any time during the last 6 months of the year; then only one of you can claim the child for any tax reasons. The tax benefits may not be split in any other manner.

2. If your child lives with you and would otherwise qualify as your qualifying child dependent; except for the fact that she provides more than half her own support, you may claim the EIC, based on her.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SidneyY

You should be able to add her to your return as a non dependent.
Hal_Al
Level 15

It depends on why you can't claim her.

But, generally, no, you do not enter someone you can't claim. The dependent interview is complicated and can lead to mistakes.

That said, there are a couple of exceptions.

1.  There is a special rule in the case of divorced & separated (including never married) parents. When the non-custodial parent is claiming the child as a dependent/exemption/child tax credit; the custodial parent is still allowed to claim the same child for Earned Income Credit, Head of Household filing status, and day care credit. This "splitting of the child" is not available to parents who lived together at any time during the last 6 months of the year; then only one of you can claim the child for any tax reasons. The tax benefits may not be split in any other manner.

2. If your child lives with you and would otherwise qualify as your qualifying child dependent; except for the fact that she provides more than half her own support, you may claim the EIC, based on her.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies