turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aulmer81

My daughter is 18 but lived with us for 10 months of the year should I claim her?

Also she had a baby in April of 2016 that also lived with us.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter is 18 but lived with us for 10 months of the year should I claim her?

Both your daughter and her baby may meet the requirements to be claimed by you as a qualifying child dependent. Here they are:

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster chld, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student, or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) unless disabled.

If your daughter had income and files a tax return and claims her daughter, you cannot claim either one of them.  If your income is higher than your daughter's income, she can let you claim the baby instead of your daughter claiming the baby. If you claim your daughter and she files a tax return, she must indicate on her return that she can be claimed by someone else.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Both your daughter and her baby may meet the requirements to be claimed by you as a qualifying child dependent. Here they are:

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster chld, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student, or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) unless disabled.

If your daughter had income and files a tax return and claims her daughter, you cannot claim either one of them.  If your income is higher than your daughter's income, she can let you claim the baby instead of your daughter claiming the baby. If you claim your daughter and she files a tax return, she must indicate on her return that she can be claimed by someone else.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies