turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Morimeag

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My dad claimed me as a dependent?

I am 18 (19 in April). In the year 2019 I lived with my parents from January to June. During this time I was not yet a high school graduate but was going to a community college instead (I was allowed to go to the college my senior year instead of doing high school courses). I moved from NY to VA the first week of June. I did end up graduating high school in June. 

Yet when I went to file my taxes they were rejected because my dad claimed me as a dependent. However I do not believe this is right. I lived there only five months.

I do not want to allow him to claim me either, for personal family reasons. 

Does he have a right to claim me as a dependent? What are my rights? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

From January to June is actually six months. You will have to provide documentation to the IRS that you only live with your parents for 5 five months. Your dad may also challenge your assertion that you were living with them for six months rather than the five months you claimed. This can drag out for a while and you may to decide whether going through this saga is worth anything, notwithstanding the stress this can cause to your family relationship. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Morimeag

Hi, 

I lived with them from January to the first week of June. I do have documentation of this. This isn't technically six months. I signed my apartment lease the first week of June. I have mail from the first week of June as well. 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you did not live in your father's house for more than half of 2019, and you can prove it, and the IRS accepts it, then your father can not claim you as a Qualifying Child dependent.

I am going to assume you were working and that you earned over $4,200 so that he can not claim you as a Qualifying Relative either.

You will need to file your return by mail because your father filed first. Once the IRS has your return, it will send out audit letters asking about your dependency to both you and your father. This process will take between 2 and 10 months to resolve. 

You can see more about dependency here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies