Solved: My college student daughter is my dependent and earned $8,850 in W2 income. I know she has to file but can she still get her own exemption when she files???

mgallelli

My college student daughter is my dependent and earned $8,850 in W2 income. I know she has to file but can she still get her own exemption when she files???

When she tried filling on her own through turbotax it allowed her to take the standard deduction for single person even though she declared that I am claiming her as a dependent. Yet, I read that she cannot take the standard deduction if she is my dependent.  Which is correct?
Thanks

IsabellaG

She can take the standard deduction for a dependent, which is $350 + the dependent's earned income, up to $6300. In your daughter's situation, she'd get the whole $6300.

She does not, however, get to claim her own exemption, since you are claiming her.

IsabellaG

mgallelli

Thank you!
IsabellaG

You're welcome!