turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child (CA resident) has investment income from K-1s in OR. They are getting taxed in OR and CA on the same amount. Is this double-taxation par for the course with OR?

The TurboTax form says "Schedule S (OR) - California Residents cannot claim state tax credit paid to this state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

My child (CA resident) has investment income from K-1s in OR. They are getting taxed in OR and CA on the same amount. Is this double-taxation par for the course with OR?

What is the nature of the investment income? Normally investment income (interest, dividends and capital gains) are not taxed by a non resident state. But if the income is rent, royalties  or compensation (Oregon source income) it would be taxable.

In this case, it is OR real estate rental income on their K-1. So they are paying OR income tax on that and it seems that they are having to pay CA taxes on that same income. How do I work out the"contrary" rule so they don't get double taxed? Thanks
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm not personally familiar with OR (or CA) software; but, basically, you will encounter a section of the state interview (OR in your case)  that asks if any of the income is subject to tax by another state.
Anonymous
Not applicable

California residents who are included in a

group nonresident tax return similar to the

tax return described in California Revenue &

Taxation Code (R&TC) Section 18535, filed

with the states listed in this section, as well

as Arizona (AZ), Oregon (OR), or Virginia (VA)

may also claim a credit for their share of

income taxes paid to these states, unless any

of these states allow a credit for taxes paid to

California on the group nonresident tax return.

Attach a statement and schedule showing

your share of the net income tax paid to the

other state.

Hal_Al
Level 15

In other words, CA & OR are "contrary" (to the standard rule) or "reverse" states. You claim the credit on the non-resident ( OR) return, not the resident (CA) return.

Thanks for your help.  It looks like it needed to do the CA first then the OR.  When I went back in, the OR saw the CA taxes and made the adjustment.  

The investment income is rental income.  

Thanks for your help.  It looks like it needed to do the CA first then the OR.  When I went back in, the OR saw the CA taxes and made the adjustment.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies