chababe001

My adult daughter is on ssi. She has been buying health care through the Affordable care act. Is she eligible for the premium tax credit

My adult daughter is on ssi. She has been buying health care through the Affordable care act. Is she eligible for the premium tax credit. I did her taxes last night and Turbo Tax prompted me to put in the numbers for the premium tax credit.

I am not sure if she is eligible or not.

MiriamF

Your daughter is eligible for a Premium Tax Credit if her income is below four times the Federal Poverty Level for her filing status. (See the screenshot below.)  As her modified AGI approaches four times the FPL, the PTC is eliminated.

When you enter her 1095-A, the allowable Premium Tax Credit is calculated on Form 8962 and compared with the PTC she actually received, which is listed on the 1095-A.

If you haven't received a copy of her 1095-A, you will need to get it, or her refund will be delayed. You can contact her insurance company and ask them to read the numbers to you. It helps if you can print out a blank copy of Form 1095-A before you call them.

MiriamF