• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tn-spice

My adult daughter is disabled and qualified for disability income in 2016. I take care of her also in my home and am curious if I may claim her also.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

My adult daughter is disabled and qualified for disability income in 2016. I take care of her also in my home and am curious if I may claim her also.

She could qualify as your dependent.  Notice the last point below.  Dependents include qualifying children. To be a qualifying child -

• they must not file a joint return with a spouse.
  • the child must be your son, daughter, parent, sibling, grandchildren, foster child, niece, nephew, etc.,
  • the child must be under the age of 19 (or 24 if a full time student for any part of 5 months during the year),
  • the child must not provide more than 1/2 of their own support, and
  • the child must live with you more than 1/2 of the year, including temporary absences such as being away for schooling.
  • The age limit is waived if your child is totally and permanently disabled on the last day of the year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

She could qualify as your dependent.  Notice the last point below.  Dependents include qualifying children. To be a qualifying child -

• they must not file a joint return with a spouse.
  • the child must be your son, daughter, parent, sibling, grandchildren, foster child, niece, nephew, etc.,
  • the child must be under the age of 19 (or 24 if a full time student for any part of 5 months during the year),
  • the child must not provide more than 1/2 of their own support, and
  • the child must live with you more than 1/2 of the year, including temporary absences such as being away for schooling.
  • The age limit is waived if your child is totally and permanently disabled on the last day of the year.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v