Solved: My 3 year daughter was unable to receive a ITIN number, but now finnaly got her social security number. Can I claim her for this year and the 2 previous years tax return?

christian-kursch

My 3 year daughter was unable to receive a ITIN number, but now finnaly got her social security number. Can I claim her for this year and the 2 previous years tax return?

DanielV01

Yes, provided that you would have been allowed to claim her in those prior years.  Keep in mind, though, that because of the PATH act that was passed in late 2015, it is no longer possible to claim EIC for prior years when she was ineligible for the SSN.  But, if she either lived in the United States, Canada, or Mexico, you will be able to claim her as a dependent for all three years.  (She may qualify you for Earned Income Credit for 2017, however, if you and your spouse if filing a joint return also have Social Security numbers that would qualify you for the credit).

DanielV01