gehoffmann40-gmail-com

My 27 ySon made less than $4000. He lives at home and attends college full time. I pay all his living costs. Can I claim him as a dependent? and what happens when

Texas Roger

You can claim your 27 year old son as a qualifying relative dependent if he meets the following tests:

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.

2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household. 

3. The person's gross  taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 in 2016.

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

5. The person must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

The "and what happens when" part of your question was incomplete. What was the rest of your question?
Carl

...and your son claims all the education credits, if any.