turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 21 yr old dependent college student online filed for her taxes without telling anyone. She is my dependent how do I file for her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 21 yr old dependent college student online filed for her taxes without telling anyone. She is my dependent how do I file for her?

Oh my!!   You will need to find out if she claimed herself or if she said "someone else can claim me" on their return. This question is in the My Info personal set up section in the beginning. 

If she claimed herself and you want to claim her as a dependent, she will need to amend her return and after the IRS is completely finished with her Amendment, you can file your return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Oh my!!   You will need to find out if she claimed herself or if she said "someone else can claim me" on their return. This question is in the My Info personal set up section in the beginning. 

If she claimed herself and you want to claim her as a dependent, she will need to amend her return and after the IRS is completely finished with her Amendment, you can file your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies