samanthaxxxxx

My 2015 tax file isn't showing in Turbotax online files. ( I do see other years). I know the file is on my hard drive...do I need to manually import everything?

mesquitebean

Here's how to transfer a *.tax2015 data file from the desktop version into a 2016 Online return:

• Log in and if you have already started a 2016 online return, then open your 2016 return ("Take me to my return.")
  • Once the return is open, then click on MY ACCOUNT at the top, and then TOOLS. (screen image 1)
  • In the Tools window, choose: "Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer." (screen image 2)
  • Then it will ask you if you agree to clear your return.  (screen image 3).
  • Then on next screen use the Browse feature to point TurboTax to the file location.  (screen image 4)

mesquitebean

How did you prepare the 2015 return?   Did you prepare the 2015 return online or in desktop software (CD/download) installed on your computer?

If you prepared it on your computer, we can tell you how to upload the *.tax2015 data file to transfer the 2015 data into a 2016 online return.
samanthaxxxxx

I don't remember.  I see it as a PDF file saved on my hard drive, so I'm assuming I downloaded it?  I'd like to file online from this point forward and have Intuit store my tax files.
mesquitebean

Search your entire computer for any file ending in the *.tax2015 extension.   Is the 2015 software installed on your computer?

The PDF file could be from either one (online website version or the desktop version), so that doesn't help narrow down how you prepared the return.

If you don't have the *.tax2015 data file, and you don't remember buying and installing the 2015 software (CD/download) last year, then you probably used Online TurboTax.   I can tell you how to look for multiple accounts in case you prepared an online return in another account.
samanthaxxxxx

I found the file you referenced, clicked on it and then it did an update ...however I still cannot "see" it listed on the previous return timelime in TT.
mesquitebean

So you have the 2015 program installed on your computer?  When you clicked that file, did it launch the 2015 TurboTax program and update?
mesquitebean

If you prepared your 2015 return on your computer, it will NOT be in your Online Tax Timeline.  Those are 2 different products.

But we can tell you how to upload it into a new 2016 online return.
samanthaxxxxx

Yes, clicking on the file launches the program from my PC.  What are the steps to upload it into my 2016 return?  I'm trying to avoid reentering all my dependent, SS numbers etc.
mesquitebean

I will post an answer below with some screen images on how to upload the *.tax2015 data file into your online return.  As part of the process, it will ask you to clear your current 2016 online return and start over.
samanthaxxxxx

Now I realize I did use the downloaded Deluxe version last year to import my brokerage trading info, but am I to understand if I want to do this online, I need use the Premier version?
mesquitebean

In the Online product, Premier or higher is required for transactions of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc.  You would need online Premier to handle Schedule D, Form 8949, etc.   You could use the Deluxe desktop product.
samanthaxxxxx

I guess that will be determined on how smoothly the importing of the 2015 return goes!
mesquitebean

I left the info below.
samanthaxxxxx

Thank you so much!  I'll follow the steps and will follow up with the result.
mesquitebean

You're welcome.  Good luck.