hdbrand1

My 1040X states I owe $12 (and TurboTax states that is my Federal Tax Due) but it includes a 1040EZ stating I owe $298. Do I just ignore the 1040EZ?

My original return (on a TurboTax 1040) showed I owed $298 (based on itemized medical expenses). I removed one of the medical expenses for the amended return as I had discovered that expense was paid in 2015, not 2016. TurboTax said therefore the standard deduction was my better option, and that I now only owed $12.

WillK

The IRS looks at the original return and the amended return as two separate tax returns. The IRS will be looking for the payments to go with each of the returns as well even though you amended return and the amount is different.

You will need to send in payments with the returns.

WillK