My 10 year old is perm disabled with charge syndrome so I can’t work why can’t I get the dependent child credit?

I didn’t work in 2022 but have a dependent how do I get the credit for him?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TeresaM

In tax year 2021 the rules for Child Tax Credit were relaxed by covid relief legislation and available to tax payers without earned income. 

For tax year 2022, we are back to the standard rules and the Child Tax Credit is:

• non-refundable
  • $2,000 a year per child
  • only available to taxpayers with at least $2,500 in earned income
  • only available up to the limit of your tax liability shown on the return

So if there is not at least $2,500 in earned income and no owed taxes on income, the return will not qualify for the credit this year.

Sorry---the tax laws changed from 2021 and for 2022 the laws are much less generous.   If you did not work in 2022, you are not eligible for child-related credits.  The refundable additional child tax credit is based on how much you earned from working, as is the earned income credit.  And the child and dependent care credit is only available if you paid someone to take care of your child so that you could work.

AND….If you have children but had  little or no income, it raises the question of how you and the children were supported.  There may be another tax-paying adult who can claim you and/or the children as dependents.