turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxable income down from last year but taxes owed increased

My wife and I made more in 2017 than we did in 2018, yet the taxes owed are much higher than last year.  Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The tax brackets have changed and there are more caps on what can be deducted in 2018 compared to 2017.  Except for those who were in the top tax bracket in 2017, most people who itemized deductions in 2017 will owe more in 2018.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

The tax brackets have changed and there are more caps on what can be deducted in 2018 compared to 2017.  Except for those who were in the top tax bracket in 2017, most people who itemized deductions in 2017 will owe more in 2018.

Same thing happened to me (lower income but higher taxes).  For me I lost some tax deductions due to the tax law changes.  People in high tax states like CA, NY, and CT got hit really hard since they were severely limited in what they could deduct.

If you're talking about taxes owed (not total tax liability), then your employer didn't withhold enough taxes from your paychecks.  Be sure to adjust your withholding allowances if this is the case.

If you're talking about your total tax liability that increased, then agreed...it is probably due to limitations on SALT deductions (state and local income taxes max out at $10k).  So if you live in a high property tax state and pay more than $10k in property tax, you may lose out on that deduction.  You definitely lose out on that deduction if your SALT is greater than the married filing jointly standard deduction of $24k.

tehmasp

Ditto. Had a big tax payment this year. Same withholdings from last year. The Tax bill was a big sham!
maahmad66

welcome to the scam...

Most people, including me, did not notice that the withholding tables changed so your employer took less money out. For those of us in high tax states this changes your deductions and you get socked with a tax bill. Last year I had a refund, and this year I owe over 1k.

No wonder the big "Tax Reform" bill disappeared very quickly from the Republican talking points during Mid Term Elections. A big fat gift to the "elites" that Trump campaigned against while hurting those groups he said he was representing. What a crock!

Under view go to Forms and click on the two year comparison. This will yield your answer.
rblhot
Returning Member

Blame Trump's new tax law.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies