Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In CA state return, Investment Income Expenses are not showing up as a deduction in the generated forms

In my CA state return, I have put HSA maintenance fees as Investment Income Expenses using the instructions from https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3772418. From what I understand, it should be showing up as a deduction in the CA return, but when I look at the forms generated by TurboTax at the end, that doesn't seem to be happening. What could be the reason for the deduction to not be present there?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

In CA state return, Investment Income Expenses are not showing up as a deduction in the generated forms

Miscellaneous itemized deductions get a 2% of AGI haircut on Schedule A line 26. So unless the sum of them exceed that 2% amount then they don't count in the total itemized deductions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Miscellaneous itemized deductions get a 2% of AGI haircut on Schedule A line 26. So unless the sum of them exceed that 2% amount then they don't count in the total itemized deductions.

I understand the 2% AGI limit applies for the federal return, but does it apply to the California state return as well?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Yes, same thing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies