• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garycarols
Level 1

MFS but shared health insurance policy on 1095-A. May I allocate any desired percentage (0-100% each, to total 100%) of columns A, B & C . . . or must it be 50-50%?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KittyM
Level 2

MFS but shared health insurance policy on 1095-A. May I allocate any desired percentage (0-100% each, to total 100%) of columns A, B & C . . . or must it be 50-50%?

It depends.  The IRS follows state law for separate returns, so Married Filing Separate returns are always tricky.  If you live in a community property state (AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, and WI) you may be required to split 50/50.

If you do allocate, you enter the full amount of the 1095-A on both your tax returns.  Then fill out the allocation question in TurboTax and enter your agreed upon allocation percentages.  You must include the 1095-A information with both returns, even if one of you is allocated 0%.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KittyM
Level 2

It depends.  The IRS follows state law for separate returns, so Married Filing Separate returns are always tricky.  If you live in a community property state (AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, and WI) you may be required to split 50/50.

If you do allocate, you enter the full amount of the 1095-A on both your tax returns.  Then fill out the allocation question in TurboTax and enter your agreed upon allocation percentages.  You must include the 1095-A information with both returns, even if one of you is allocated 0%.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v