baileyroy2985

Medicare part D premiums, where do I report them?

LindaA

If your Medicare Part D premiums are deducted from your Social Security Benefits, you'll enter then on the SSA-1099 entry screen in TurboTax. TurboTax will carry this information to your Medical Expenses (Schedule A). (Click the screenshots below for reference.)

To enter your SSA-1099 in TurboTax;

• Open (continue) your return. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type ssa-1099.
  • In the results box, highlight ssa-1099, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. 

If your out-of-pocket (after tax) medical insurance premiums are not reported on a tax form, such as the SSA-1099, you'll enter them in the Medical Expenses section of TurboTax.

• Select Tools.
  • In the search bar, type medical expenses.
  • In the results box, highlight medical expenses, sch a, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. Note that medical expenses are divided into numerous categories, which are spread out over several screens (prescription medications, medical professionals, medical facility fees, x-ray and lab work fees, long term care services, eye care expenses, medical supplies and equipment, medical travel, insurance premiums, and other medical expenses). You will need to go through several screens before you get to the place where you may enter your insurance premiums not reported elsewhere.

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.